Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design

From: chad
Subject: Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 02:29:59 -0700

On Sep 21, 2011, at 2:04 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> Hi, everybody.
>
> Since when has adding four identical characters into a search string been
> useful?  Maybe "))))" whilst programming elisp, and there is a (long)
> place name in Wales with four consecutive 'l's.  But really?  :-)

As I mentioned, my actual experience with emacs:

        I've tried to use it to isearch for strings of several `-' characters
(which
        were basically record separators), and was surprised when C-u quit
        isearch. The case I mentioned uses 6 `-'s; the other cases I see (less
        frequently lately) use either 33 `-'s or 66 `;'s.

        I've never wanted C-u to quit isearch.

Richard commented that special-casing C-u might turn isearch into a
`modal thing' (my term). I think the majority of people believe that it
has always been such a thing, and that is its primary value.

Perhaps there are people who want to be able to exit isearch by inserting
a number of identical characters at point, but it certainly seems strange
to me (hardly surprising, since I already said I was unpleasantly surprised
by it).

I hope that helps,
*Chad