Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:59:16 -0400

    Indeed.  Guess what?  My fingers use isearch as you originally
    intended; I don't use *any* non-printing characters to invoke isearch-
    specific commands except C-s, C-r, BKSP, and RET (you missed those
    last two, I think they have always been available with isearch-
    specific behavior).

RET was originally entered into the search string, and that was
quite useful.

DEL was the only character that edited the search string,
since many programs use DEL to do that.

ESC was the original way to explicitly exit without doing
anything else.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation