Re: Service names on machines with bad service files

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Service names on machines with bad service files
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 06:38:01 -0500

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:30:22 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> A Windows user has a problem with opening a connection using port
LMI> "imaps", which doesn't exist in that user's service file (or wherever
LMI> Windows stashes these things).

LMI> So I'm wondering whether there's any nice way to determine that that's
LMI> the situation and work around it.
LMI> 2) Somehow determine that the OS doesn't know what "imaps" is, and use
LMI> "993" as a fallback.  I have no idea whether that's easy to do.

I think this is the best solution: map service names to ports in an
OS-specific way.

For W32, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832017 could be used.  It gives
several standard port assignments in tables.  That whole article could
be transformed into a "services" file at compile time or provided
dynamically.

Ted