Re: Global bar to display global information

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Global bar to display global information
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:50:08 -0500

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:31:13 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> Overall, it sounds like it shouldn't be too hard to make up a little
SM> package that fills a buffer with useful global info
SM> (time/battery/mail/younameit) and then lets you choose where you want to
SM> display it (separate frame, inactive minibuffer, ...).

Don't forget the progress bar Michael Albinus and I were pushing, to
indicate global "busy" status.  That would fit nicely in such a global
"status bar."  Emacs should really support global progress indicators
and I recall our discussion stalled.

I am attaching an *early not really functional* version of my ideas in
the global information direction, emacs-panel.el.  I didn't get far with
it this summer before other tasks took priority, but intend to keep
working on it.  It is specifically intended to function as an
information panel, which I think is the goal of this thread.  Note that
it has some code to let the window manager treat the popups specially so
they can be docked, which is essential IMHO.

Any improvements, especially such that make it ELPA-ready, most
welcome.  As I said I intend to keep working on it as time allows.

Thanks
Ted