Re: more on starttls, gnutls-cli and using tls for mail

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: more on starttls, gnutls-cli and using tls for mail
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 13:26:08 -0400

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>`smtpmail-auth-credentials' is not a good interface for many reasons.
>It was very, very well discussed in the past.  Everything it can do,
>should be possible with `auth-source-search'.
>
>`auth-source' supports multiple backends.  There's no reason we can't
>provide a backend that does the dynamic fetching you want and does not
>use a authinfo/netrc file.  The authinfo/netrc backend supports entry
>creation and can share the file with other consumers such as libcurl;
>this is the main reason why it's the default now.
>
>You should also note that you can configure `auth-sources' to use any
>combination of backends.  So your custom ELisp backend could be first,
>then you'd hit the Secrets API, then the authinfo/netrc backend. [...]

Thanks.  This all sounds good in principle.  As a user (even as an
Elisp-literate user) I have no idea yet how to take advantage of the
functionality you describe above, but I assume that's just a matter of
reading the documentation.  From what I've read so far, auth-source
seems to be a superset of everything anyone could ever want.

It may be that after I set up something dynamic, it will be
contributable back to Emacs, either as code or as examples for the
auth-source Info manual.  I'll try to keep that in mind.

For now, I'm dynamically constructing ~/.authinfo and then destroying it
after the mail is sent, because I got that working and its undeniable
awkwardness is a mere annoyance, not a showstopper.

-K