Re: ChangeLogs in the elpa branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs in the elpa branch
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:03:54 -0400

> Is this necessary? I find the ChangeLogs helpful, especially for the
> debbugs package which is still actively developped.
> IIRC, a similar discussion was about ChangeLogs in trunk, and the
> decision (compromise?) was to keep them.

The decision for Emacs ChangeLogs was "to keep them for now".
So my decision for GNU ELPA is to "not introduce them" instead, and use
it as a testbed and motivation to make "bzr log" work as well as
ChangeLogs, so that we ultimately will be able to get rid of Emacs's
ChangeLogs as well.

> And for packages distributed by the package manager, "bzr log" is not
> applicable.

That's one of the things we need to fix, yes: when building the
packages, we should extract that "bzr log" and place it into
a ChangeLog file.

        Stefan