Re: smtpmail and ~/.authinfo

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: smtpmail and ~/.authinfo
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:18:39 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:41:08 -0500
>
> With raw-text they also get potentially unsafe characters, right?

They get what they put in the file.  If we assume that what's there is
acceptable by their SMTP server, it's "safe".

> Could you help me (or point me to the right examples) to:
>
> - always create/write a file in UTF-8 on every platform

You mean, force Emacs to encode .authinfo in UTF-8 when creating it?
I guess that's the job for file-coding-system-alist.

> - opportunistically open the file in binary, raw-text, UTF-8, etc. on
>   every platform

Sorry, I don't understand what you'd like to do.  Please elaborate,
and I will gladly try to help.