Re: ChangeLogs in the elpa branch

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs in the elpa branch
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:38:16 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Reasons I can see why people want to do this:
>
> 1) It makes merging between branches a bit easier.

My work flow when fixing small bugs (and most of them are small bugs)
are:

1) fix the bug

2) `C-x 4 a', and write the bug entry

3) `M-x vc-dir RET'

4) Do something depending on what's shown in the vc-dir buffer, like
mark ChangeLog and the file in question, in case I have other changes
pending, which I often have

5) `='

6) `v'

7) `C-c C-a' to pull in the log

8) Remove the bit too much that `C-a C-a' pulled in, since I perhaps
just did another change to the same file.

9) Rewrite the entry to fit a commit; i.e., make a complete first
sentence that shows up as the summary

10) `C-c C-c'

11) Profit!

If we didn't have a ChangeLog, my work flow would be:

1) fix the bug

2) `C-x v ='

3) `C-x v v'

4) Write the entry

5) `C-c C-c'

Won't anybody think of the poor developers' fingers!