Re: smtpmail and ~/.authinfo

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: smtpmail and ~/.authinfo
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:31:52 -0400

> That's exactly my point.  Right now we save as raw-text, which is not
> usable to other programs in the long term.  In UTF-8 it would be saved
> "as such" because IIRC all codepoints under 255 don't need to be encoded
> (and your string goes up to 233).

No, chars from the latin-1 set have identical *Unicode* code points
(i.e. between 128 and 255), but their encoding into utf-8 occupies
2 bytes.

As for saving random bytes, you can't either, at least not in a way that
is supported by all utf-8 implementations.

I think raw-text is more likely to work, based on what Lars says.

        Stefan