Re: smtpmail and ~/.authinfo

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: smtpmail and ~/.authinfo
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 05:38:28 -0500

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 05:57:28 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:31:52 -0400
>>
>> I think raw-text is more likely to work, based on what Lars says.

EZ> That was also my conclusion.

I think we should make an effort to make the netrc/authinfo file
shareable with other programs, or else what's the point of using such a
file?  We may as well `print' straight to a file.  raw-text encoding is,
to me, saying "we give up."

I thought today, on most popular platforms, UTF-8 was the safest choice
if you want to share data that covers UCS.  I think the non-UCS data can
be covered by letting the user override the encoding in a defcustom.

The other objection to UTF-8 was that some binary sequences can't be
encoded by it.  Remember, we're talking about passwords and other
legible tokens, not binary files.  The likelihood of such a sequence in
a token is too small to matter IMO.  So I still think raw-text is the
worse choice even though it's easier to make it.

Ted