Re: ChangeLogs in the elpa branch

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs in the elpa branch
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:02:04 +0900

Juanma Barranquero writes:
 > On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 09:10, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

 > > I disagree, I think people take more care with ChangeLogs.
 >
 > I'm with Glenn again. And part of the fact is, IMO, the immediacy of
 > writting the commit logs. I'd bet not many people write them at a
 > leisurely pace before even starting the commit.

That's because not many people write ChangeLogs at a leisurely pace
before even starting the commit.  Anyway, the right time to write log
message (of either type) is before starting to code. ;-)

This particular issue is easy enough to solve, though.

1. Disable the log message prompt in the vc-commit code.
2. Add -F .emacs-vc-commit-log (or whatever the equivalent is in .bzr)
   to the commit command (and maybe some sort of "up-to-date" check on
   that file).
3. Have "C-x 4 a" look for that file as well as/instead of ChangeLog,
   and create it (in preference to ChangeLog) if neither is found.

There are some rough edges there, but once the basic idea is
implemented, you'll never notice you're not writing ChangeLogs any
more.