Re: ELPA update

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: ELPA update
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:30:48 -0500

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:05:30 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I second that.  Currently, I don't use GNU's ELPA but have a checkout of
>> the emacs elpa branch that I update and "make site" daily, and then I
>> add the "elpa/packages/<foo>/" dirs of the packages I'm interested into
>> my load-path manually.  That completely defeats the purpose of a package
>> manager...

SM> BTW here's a few things about GNU ELPA, some of which are calls for help:
SM> - We need someone to write some script that can split a stream of "elpa
SM>   commit email messages" and dispatch them to the respective
SM>   package maintainers.
SM>   I consider this very important and urgent and would really welcome
SM>   help on this.

Please post here or send me directly a sample of the input and I'll
write this splitter.

SM> - We need to improve the "make site" so that the compile warnings aren't
SM>   drowned with everything else.
SM> - We need to improve the "make archive" so it includes a ChangeLog in
SM>   each package.

I don't know enough, especially considering your recent notes about
removing ChangeLogs, to help here.

SM> - I'd like to push GNU ELPA as a kind of "Savannah for Elisp".
SM>   That means I encourage package maintainers to use elpa's Bzr as their
SM>   official VCS repository.  This currently means that any package
SM>   maintainer needs to be a member of the `emacs' group and gets write
SM>   access not just to his package but also to other packages and to
SM>   Emacs.  I'm not sure how well this is going to scale, but let's
SM>   be optimistic.

See my proposal in this thread about signing commits with a private key,
which should alleviate this permissions problem.

Ted