Re: draft for DEL key poll

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: draft for DEL key poll
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 08:03:03 +0200

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:03:36 -0400
From: Richard Stallman<address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

I don't generally care whether the region is active -- I set
mark-even-if-inactive to t.

t is the default value of that variable nowadays.

Hi,

sounds like a redundancy for me:

*Non-nil means you can use the mark even when inactive.
This option makes a difference in Transient Mark mode.
When the option is non-nil, deactivation of the mark
turns off region highlighting, but commands that use the mark
behave as if the mark were still active.

IMHO there are two cases to decide:

- if exists a difference between point and mark, ie the region exists

- the region is highlighted or not

two functions resp. variables are enough for indicating this

region-active-p
transient-mark-mode.

all the other stuff introduces rather confusion than being helpful AFAIU

Cheers,

Andreas