Re: Ideas for hl-line-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Ideas for hl-line-mode
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 09:57:52 +0300

> From: Dave Abrahams <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:53:13 -0400
>
> > If you provide a list of those modes which you are interested in, we
> > could see whether the fact they are `special' is a coincidence or
> > something else.
>
> I'm interested in all present and future modes.

I was asking about those modes where you'd like to see hl-line-mode
active.

> I don't see anything in the manual that suggests the two sets in
> question will be/should be/are identical.

>From the ELisp manual:

   * If this mode is appropriate only for specially-prepared text
     produced by the mode itself (rather than by the user typing at the
     keyboard or by an external file), then the major mode command
     symbol should have a property named `mode-class' with value
     `special', put on as follows:

          (put 'funny-mode 'mode-class 'special)

     [...] Modes such as Dired, Rmail, and Buffer List use this feature.