Re: Ideas for hl-line-mode

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: Ideas for hl-line-mode
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:25:55 -0400

on Sat Oct 01 2011, Eli Zaretskii <eliz-AT-gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Dave Abrahams <address@hidden>
>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 13:37:40 -0400
>>
>> I read that text, and it doesn't suggest to me that horizontal
>> position will be irrelevant in those modes.
>
> That's why I asked you to define "modes in which horizontal position
> is irrelevant".

Sorry, I didn't understand that you were asking for a definition.

The distinction is: modes in which the effects of any command invoked
(other than horizontal cursor movement commands) are determined solely
by the current line that point is on and are unaffected by the current
column.

>> Consider an Emacs tic-tac-toe game, for example.
>
> Does it belong to the modes where you want hl-line-mode on or off?

off (actually I also want to massively de-emphasize the cursor in that
set of modes)

> Why?

because in that mode, presumably, you'd be able to hit `SPC' on a square
of the board and get an "X" or "O" in that square, and several squares
are lined up horizontally on the same line in tic-tac-toe.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing