Re: Sound in Emacs

From: chad
Subject: Re: Sound in Emacs
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 17:41:19 -0700

On Oct 4, 2011, at 5:23 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

But it's like ImageMagick support.  Does displaying images inside Emacs
give you a better experience?  I think it does.  And I have a feeling
the same would be the case with sound support.

I suspect that it's the `browsing' versus `working with' difference; I
find image viewing in Emacs to be very useful for looking through
things that contain images, but I've never really missed the ability
to crop, rotate, zoom, etc -- although those would be neat, I haven't
really wanted them.

There is a big UX difference between using emacs to manage a music
collection, adding ui sounds to gnus, and using emacs to figure out
that sound/892794.ogg is `ding' while sound/234676.ogg is `quack'.  I
don't know that EMMS benefits much from internal players, or that a
software replacement for the dectalk is interesting.  I imagine that
many emacs hackers would hate sounds in gnus (look at how many disable
the bell), but I suspect many of the newer users would like it (I've
actually turned them back on in my non-Emacs email environment,
because I like to hear when mail has actually been sent). I imagine
most people either don't care or would like to have emacs' help
browsing sound files in dired.

I hope that this musing hasn't been entirely useless. :-)
*Chad