Re: Fixing dired hangs when NFS mount goes AWOL

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Fixing dired hangs when NFS mount goes AWOL
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:55:05 -0400

Michael Olson wrote:

> insert-directory (version in ls-lisp.el is used)

I'm surprised this succeeds if there is a missing NFS mount.
You're saying the NFS mount is outside the directory being listed, but
still hangs df?

> Apparently it's an issue in how df is implemented, in that it still
> attempts to stat all existing mounts before narrowing the listing by
> the directory param.

Wow, really? That seems like an odd way for it to be implemented.

Quick search gives eg

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2003-03/msg00014.html

which suggests that df is aware of such issues and tries to avoid them.