Re: Gdb in emacs 24

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Gdb in emacs 24
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 09:37:45 -0400

There must be a misunderstanding.  Here's what you said:

> If you "C-h f gdb RET", you will see that Emacs 24 switched to use the
> GDB/MI interface, so the --annotate=3 thingy is no longer TRT, and I'm
> quite sure it will interfere in "interesting" ways.

And I pointed out that you couldn't actually infer the switch to the new
interface from the doc string of `gdb'.

You responded by underlining the name of the source file.

And my point is that this is insufficient to get the user to use a different
argument for gdb.  (Clicking on the source file gets me to the definition of
`gdb', and I have to scroll to the commentary on page 2 of the source code to
find something about MI.   (The commentary actually says " It runs gdb with
GDB/MI (-interp=mi)", which would lead me to infer that I don't have to give
gdb further arguments on my own!)    Apologies if that wasn't clear.

In general:

1. The user doesn't care about how Emacs GDB and the underlying gdb
communicate, and how that changes between Emacs versions - nor should they have
to care.

2. The user can't be expected to deal with gdb's command line arguments, beyond
the path of the executable anyway.  They're debugging their own program and
that's complicated enough.  Tools should be seamless.

3. Don't expect the user to read documentation for Emacs functions between
upgrades of Emacs.   Most users, today, won't read documentation at all.  They
have to read API documentation for the program their writing, that's enough.

None of these have to do with users being "stupid".  Everyone has attentional
limitations.

PS.: thanks to everybody for keeping GDB in Emacs working, even with my ancient
version/fork of GDB.  It makes life much easier.