Re: Sound in Emacs

From: andersvi
Subject: Re: Sound in Emacs
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 18:42:28 +0200

    D> No doubt it does not correspond to everything you both are
    D> envisioning, but Bookmark+ lets you easily register (aka
    D> "bookmark") any type of file, associate metatdata with it, tag it
    D> in various ways and access it using tag set operations, attach
    D> any additional code to its activation (aka "jumping to it"),
    D> group it in various ways with other files (e.g. a playlist), and
    D> so on.

Looks great.  Indeed, if Lars' initial suggestion of linking in native
'sound'-support to emacs Bookmark+ (or similar) would come quite far.

    D> (Not sure what you meant by "regions", but you can also bookmark
    D> specific regions of text files.

This is perhaps more for people working with sound in analytical or
creative contexts, ie. composers or researchers etc.  Most sounds in
these working-contexts are typically contained in recorded (or
processed) files, any one file containing several 'regions' -
start-time, duration, channel-index... - one would want to look up
separately without necessary splicing each region out as one soundfile.

    D> Alternatively, you can perhaps leverage Org mode's features
    D> involving metadata and tagging - dunno.

I think someone made a snd-interface for org-babel.  These are nice
places to start.

    D>     And then there is Stefan's Music Player Daemon (MPD) - dunno
    D> about that either, but it sounds like it employs an actual
    D> "database" (unlike Bookmark+ (and Org, I imagine), which holds
    D> the metadata in plain text files).

Storage isnt a problem as such.  Any efficient db system, say mysql,
would work great.  Typically sound-collections (in the contexts
mentioned above) grow large, and often are kept on separate
mount-points, and special sound-disks.  Looking up a db-server, perhaps
as an option, would be a bonus.