Re: Fixing dired hangs when NFS mount goes AWOL

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Fixing dired hangs when NFS mount goes AWOL
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 19:58:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> The concept of "remote" file is a very fuzzy one, which means very
>>> different things to different people in different cases.
>>> I tend to agree that file-remote-p should return non-nil on NFS mounted
>>> filesystems, but that's simply not implemented.  Patch welcome,
>> This will break Tramp completely. Please don't change its current behaviour.
>
> Why would it break Tramp?  This would only change the behavior of
> file-remote-p for file names which are not handled by Tramp, so it
> shouldn't break Tramp any more than adding some other file-name-handler
> for other kinds of remote magic file names.

There was a very long discussion about, see
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/87506/focus=87506>

In short:

Tramp uses file-remote-p internally. OK, this could be replaced by an
internal function.

Other packages use it as well, inside and outside core Emacs. We didn't
want to propagate tramp-* functions outside Tramp; file-remote-p is the
check to be used when necessary. Not so important for basic file name
operations, but needed for all process related things.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.