Re: Git mirrors

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 00:30:45 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one getting frustrated by people using a git mirror of
>> Emacs, and then sending bug reports about what they find?
>
> Nope. You make the points very well.

So you expect from users to fetch and build the very latest sources
before sending a bug report? (assuming that the bug is easily
reproducible)

... to see how, in most cases, the bug report is left resting on the
database for months until someone has some spare time? Is this
reasonble?

> I also dislike getting bug reports "I see this problem in [git] revision
> 000000deadbeef00000", which means nothing to me.

It is the revision id, which exactly defines the emacs source code used
for the build. bzr has something like that, but time ago the people here
decided that knowing that information is not really useful, so just
ignore it.

It is funny to see Lars complaining about people reporting bugs from
builds which are a few weeks old, while the Emacs developer community is
happy with the output of (version), which is anything but accurate as it
depends on when the binary was built, not on when the sources were
updated. :-/

> But now cue people moaning about how they don't like bzr and simply must
> use git because of [awesome feature].

For me it is not so much a matter of awesome features but of convenience
given my setup, so I'm happy that some people provide git
mirrors. Though I would appreciate too if they were
regularly/automatically updated, or at least some clear instructions on
how to update a local git mirror with the contents of the Savannah bzr
repo.