Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 09:12:48 -0400

>> This seems to have been forgotten about again.  Windows and Mac are
>> still the only platforms on which users are offered the choice of
>> using mailclient-send-it if they haven't configured mail.
> `mailclient-send-it' has never been a possible default on Linux systems,

Hmm....

(defun message-send-mail-function ()
  "Return suitable value for the variable `message-send-mail-function'."
  (cond ((and (require 'sendmail)
              (boundp 'sendmail-program)
              sendmail-program
              (executable-find sendmail-program))
         'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
        ((and (locate-library "smtpmail")
              (boundp 'smtpmail-default-smtp-server)
              smtpmail-default-smtp-server)
         'message-smtpmail-send-it)
        ((locate-library "mailclient")
         'message-send-mail-with-mailclient)
        (t
         (error "Don't know how to send mail.  Please customize
`message-send-mail-function'"))))

Maybe you think it's not a possible default, but message.el does use it
by default in some cases, without paying attention to the host OS.
And I think that's right.

> so I think it's quite likely to break in unexpected ways.  (I mean,
> since it probably hasn't gotten much usage.)

In my experience it works, and if it doesn't we should fix it.

> So I think that, at this point, it's probably counter-productive to add
> it as a choice.

I disagree,

        Stefan