Re: Git mirrors

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 10:35:11 -0500

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 21:38:13 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> Actually, you [John Wiegley] have write access to Emacs's
SM> repository, so also to its Git mirror, IIUC.  So you could update
SM> your script to push your mirror to git.sv.gnu.org, et voilà!

I think it would benefit the GNU Emacs project, the Emacs developers and
maintainers, and the Emacs community as a whole if there was an official
read-only Git mirror of the Emacs repository that was updated with every
Bazaar push.  Not polling, but actually triggered by a push.  And this
sync should be recognized as an important convenience to the Emacs
community, not just an afterthought.  It would not imply an endorsement
of Git over Bazaar, and this can be made explicit in web pages and FSF
statements.

We live in an era where DVCS has become a commodity, so this would let
us treat it as such and concentrate on hacking.

Ted