RE: Should undefined behavior be encouraged in Emacs?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Should undefined behavior be encouraged in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 11:41:12 -0700

> I've used Ken Manheimer's most awesome namedmarks code...
> they allow you to name locations in the buffer.  E.g.
> C-u C-space -> Set named mark: here RET
>
> (move somewhere far away)
> C-u C-x C-x -> Goto mark named (default here) RET
>
> jumps you back to the mark named 'here'.  Of course, you can have
> any number of named marks, and both prompts support completion.

Good stuff.

FWIW -

1. In Icicles you automatically have completion for (ordinary) markers - no need
to stop and name any of them.

Command `icicle-goto-marker' (`C-- C-SPC', same key as setting the mark) lets
you complete against any part of the line the marker is in.

You can also cycle among markers (any subset: those that match your current
minibuffer input), in any sort order you like (default order: buffer position).
You can change the sort order on the fly while completing.

Likewise, for global markers: `icicle-goto-global-marker' (`C-- C-x C-SPC', same
key as setting a global mark).

2. In Bookmark+ you can set autonamed bookmarks without providing any name, then
jump to them or cycle among them.  You can optionally have them be highlighted
(in the fringe or with a face) - visible markers.

The same key sets and deletes an autonamed bookmark (toggle).  With a prefix
arg, (upon confirmation) it deletes all of them in the current buffer.

The automatic names are (by default) the buffer position + the buffer name,
e.g., the autonamed bookmark in buffer foo.el at position 58356 is `000058356
foo.el'.  The names are automatically updated to reflect buffer edits.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#AutonamedBookmarks