Re: Git mirrors

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 21:15:32 +0200

> From: Burton Samograd <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 12:43:36 -0600
>
> I tried pulling the bzr tree using the instructions on savanna and
> it just hung, so I tried the git repository and it worked fine.

The usual recipe to overcome this problem is to use a different URL
for the initial "bzr branch" command:

  bzr branch nosmart+bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk

This is mentioned on this page:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs

This URL is not recommended to be used beyond the initial branch
command, since the "smart" server behavior makes later updates from
upstream much faster.  But it turns out that for relatively slow
network connections, the "smart" server makes things worse, because it
tries to optimize what's being sent down the wire, when eventually
everything needs to be sent and nothing can be optimized.  So
disabling the smart server for this one command speeds things up.