Re: smtp crap

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 21:36:56 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> Even if it works flawlessly, this "feature" should _not_ be the default.

I agree.

Besides the reasons you list, as I mentioned in my previous message,
"simple" smtp may very well not work, even if the user knows the right
hostname to use (as is the case with my ISP).

_Allowing_ people to configure emacs to directly use SMTP is good;
_defaulting_ to it is not, nor is prompting the user like it does
currently (how many people will know how to respond to this unexpected
series of prompts?  what if they respond incorrectly?).

-Miles

--
Infancy, n. The period of our lives when, according to Wordsworth, 'Heaven
lies about us.' The world begins lying about us pretty soon afterward.