Re: smtp crap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 16:20:47 +0200

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: Drew Adams <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 15:47:55 +0200
>
> I don't think `mailclient-send-it' is a very satisfactory solution for
> sending email.  It pops up a different mailer, and the user has to take
> actions there, too, to actually send the mail.

Any user of a Windows system will already be familiar with the system
mailer.  And even if she isn't, pressing the "Send" button doesn't
require you to be Einstein ;-)

Anyway, we had that value for a long time, and I don't remember any
Windows users complaining.

> mailclient makes Emacs into a second-rate mail client, which seems
> unfortunate as a default.

It is vastly better than a sophisticated, first-class mailer that the
user doesn't know how to set up.

And mind you, we won't be preventing users from reconfiguring to use a
better mailer.  It's just the default, it can be customized.  If we
want, we can provide a command for such a configuration, which will
run the same code that is now in sendmail-query-once.