RE: Rethinking count-words-region

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Rethinking count-words-region
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 13:49:28 -0700

> Better yet to bind `M-=' to a new command with a general name
> like suggested `count-stats' that will take care of different
> region activation cases and report all possible counts.

1+ for changing the name.

And I propose we get rid of any default binding for the command.
Users can bind it if they like.

This is a waste of (a) a good, repeatable chord (just hold it down), (b) one
that is also usable in a terminal (via `ESC ='), and (c) one that is mnemonic
for lots of things that involve _equality_ or _comparison_.  `=' is not mnemonic
for _counting_ anything.

This command does not need to be bound to a key by default - anymore than, say,
`cd'.  It happens to still hang around from a time when there were more keys to
spare and fewer useful commands that we might want to bind.