reconciling defvars - using package manager

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: reconciling defvars - using package manager
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 01:35:04 +0530

The question concerns `org-inlinetask-export-templates' which is
defvared in `org-inlinetask.el.

In org-7.7 which is bundled with Emacs pretest the variable has some
value say v1.

In the daily builds, say org-20111009.tar, the above variable has a
different value say v2.

Now when I upgrade it to the daily build I find that the variable stays
at the 7.7 value. As a user I was expecting that the variable reflects
the org-20111009 setting.

I am wondering whether replacing defvar with defcustom will improve the
situation here

or

are there any other workarounds.

TIA,