Re: smtp crap

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 23:36:36 -0400

>>> Even if it works flawlessly, this "feature" should _not_ be the default.
>> As long as we don't have a better solution, yes it should be
>> the default.  And for Emacs-24 we won't have a better solution so it
>> will be the default.
> So, this presumes that "smtp-using-user-prompted-info" is on average
> more reliable than "use sendmail," even in the case where sendmail can
> be invoked.

I'd hope that any user who's not dead-set on using Emacs's smtpmail
support will simply say "use mailclient".  So the likelihood of wrong
smtp setup should be rather low.

> Is there data to back up this presumption?

No.  Especially given that the current prompt doesn't really offer
mailclient as an option, so that needs to be fixed first.

        Stefan