Re: Git mirrors

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:33:17 +0200

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:33, Stephen J. Turnbull
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Promoting an unusable tool merely because it had the GNU label is most
> definitely unfriendly competition.

Assuming that by "unusable tool" you refer to the past, and even if it
is not accurate (it was lacking, but hardly unusable, or we would not
have been able to use it), well... which competition? Though I
disagreed at the time, chosing a tool is not a race, but a decision,
political as much as anything else. It seems logical to chose the one
you favor, and then try to make it better. That git or mercurial or
darcs or any other tool were available and free does not change the
fact that Bazaar was, nominally at least, *the* GNU dVCS of choice.

I think the above makes clear that I don't agree with your comment:
"One could argue that Emacs should advocate the use of the strongest
possible "team" of free software tools, rather than being biased to
the use of GNU-labeled tools." That would be technically sound,
politically less so.

    Juanma