Re: smtp crap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:01:32 -0400

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:40:23 -0400
>
> > I'm okay with changing the default to mailclient-send-it on all
> > platforms ;-)
>
> (Assuming we can eliminate the flaw that started this thread causing
> repeatedly asking the debated question), the current behavior is
> basically "before falling back on the mailclient-default, please confirm
> that you indeed want to use mailclient?", so I think it's a small price
> to pay to avoid pissing off long-time Emacs MUA users.

What will be the UI after "we eliminate the flaw that started this
thread"?  Right now, Emacs asks the user whether she wants to
configure smtp:

   (insert "Emacs has not been set up for sending mail.\n
  Type `y' to configure and use Emacs as a mail client,
  or `n' to use your system's default mailer.\n
  To change your decision later, customize `send-mail-function'.\n")

This is a very confusing request, and the way it asks 2 or even 3
questions in 2 sentences cannot possibly be TRT.  What do you propose
as the alternative?