Re: smtp crap

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 16:48:44 -0400

>> I'd expect those Windows users won't have /usr/sbin/sendmail so the
>> option shouldn't be presented to them.
> Then (2) should be reworded to say something like
>   Use the system's default email program
> ("non-Emacs" is too negative, and "MUA" is not necessarily a known
> acronym).

It's clearly not choosing the system's default email program, but the
user's default email program (I know many people don't know the
difference, but we do).

>> I don't expect any sequence: it's just one question.
>> The wording above is a starting point.  It could be a x-popup-dialog, or
>> a completing-read, or read-char-choice.
> I'm not sure each of these can present the 2 or 3 choices and allow
> to select one of them.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Yes, they all do.

> Also, the choice shouldn't be a single character, but rather several
> ones and a RET -- to avoid inadvertently hitting the wrong key.

If you don't like the single-char choice, then read-char-choice is out.
So we're left with completing-read and x-popup-dialog.
What you describe corresponds to completing-read.

        Stefan