Re: Killing a frame sometimes kills emacs

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Killing a frame sometimes kills emacs
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 22:04:00 -0400

James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems, then, that emacs needs to canonicalize the DISPLAY strings
> before comparing them.
>
> I thought that I remembered some some code in libX11 and/or xtrans
> which does that, but a quick grep(1) did not illuminate any.

I'm not sure that can be made to work reliably.

Perhaps what we should do, instead, is to avoid deleting terminals in
delete_frame if Emacs is compiled with GTK.  The original intention was
for Emacs to close remote X connections when we're done with them.  But
if GTK responds to an X connection closing by crashing, maybe we should
just not close those X connections at all.

Tassilo, could you experiment with commenting out the terminal deletion
code in frame.c:1362, and see what the behavior is like?