Re: smtp crap

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:50:10 +1100

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I cannot speak for Posix platforms nowadays, but I do know that almost
>> every Windows box out there has its mail client set up
>
> Considering the increasing popularity of webmail, this may not be true
> anymore.

This may be a very valid pint. I've noticed that a LOT of people are
now using web based mail clients and web based mail services. This
appears to be particularly common amongst less technical and younger
users. I suspect it is partially because of increased mobility and the
desire to have access to mail from multiple devices with minimal need
for configuration etc.

> Also, I don't like the argument that we should treat Windows users
> differently from users on other platforms, just because they are likely
> to use some proprietary mail client.  In that context, offering to set
> up Emacs for sending email is actually good, if it encourages less
> dependence on such mail clients.

I'd prefer it if we 'converted' people based on a superior solution
rather than what feels a bit too Machiavellian for my tastes :)

--
Tim Cross
Phone: 0428 212 217