mode-local key binding of S-drag-mouse-1

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: mode-local key binding of S-drag-mouse-1
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 06:22:27 -0500

I'd like to have a mode-local key binding of S-drag-mouse-1.
But somehow this does not work because S-down-mouse-1 is globally
bound to mouse-appearance-menu and such down-mouse bindings seem to
take precedence over drag-mouse bindings. (I guess a down-mouse
binding could not work otherwise.)

But then what can I do to suppress the binding of S-drag-mouse-1?
Even if I try to unbind S-down-mouse-1 locally, this has no effect
because emacs will then look into the global keymap where it still
finds the global binding of S-down-mouse-1 (which I'd like to keep).

Any help is appreciated!

Roland