Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:28:48 +0200

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:25, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Did you try the MinGW installer, here:
>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get-inst/mingw-get-inst-20110802/mingw-get-inst-20110802.exe/download

Yes, that is the installer (and the version) I used to install my
current MinGW environment.

> I never tried it, but perhaps it also does a good job, and will give
> you a working MinGW environment without MSYS.

But the Emacs build process needs some utilities like "rm", "cp" or
"make" that aren't part of MinGW but MSYS (the are in the
"MinGW\msys\1.0\bin" directory).  So, I would have to borrow them from
another place (e.g. GnuWin).

Therefore, what I say is that it would be great if the version of
"make" that comes with MSYS didn't have the problem I (and you) said,
because then, we'd have a easy to use and monolithic environment to
build Emacs on Windows.

--
Dani Moncayo