Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 06:52:09 -0600

On 10/12/2011 4:25 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[c] This starts a make process.  Unfortunately, sometimes the process
stops because it spawns a child "cmd.exe" session (I don't know why).

It's a problem with the MSYS Make and MSYS Bash.  They convert
command-line arguments of the form /x/foo/bar to x:/foo/bar.  This
fails miserably when the original command-line argument is not a file
name, e.g., when the Makefile invokes "cmd /c SOMETHING".  See
nt/INSTALL, which doesn't recommend MSYS for this very reason.

I see this problem even without using MSYS. I am using TDM-GCC with gcc 4.5.2 and make 3.82 and GnuWin tools. Every so often my nightly build stalls and fails with an `Access denied' error. It looks like it spawns a child cmd.exe right before. I googled and someone said make might trip up during parallel compilation so I force it with `-j 1' for testing. It still fails now and then. I will capture the exact error message and the context next time it happens.

Christoph