Re: smtp crap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:42:36 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:24:32 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I've just changed it so it doesn't mess with message any more
> > (especially since it wasn't done right) and it offers an OS-oblivious
> > 3-way choice (using completing-read).
>
> Reading the patch, it looks good except for the apparently oblivious
> 3-way choice:
>
> +              (insert "Emacs has not been set up for sending mail.\n
> +It can be told to send mail either via your favorite mail client,
> +or via the system's mail transport agent (\"sendmail\"), if any,
> +or it can send email on its own by configuring the SMTP parameters.\n

This text should be improved, IMO.  See below for my suggestion.

> Should the "sendmail" option be off the table if the system doesn't have
> a sendmail executable?  (I.e., Windows and OS X.)

Yes, I think so.  Having options that aren't applicable is confusing.

Here's my suggestion for the text of this prompt:

   Emacs is about to send an email message.  However,
   it was not configured for sending email.

   You can instruct Emacs to send mail in one of the
   following ways:

   - Start your default mail client and pass it the message text

   - Invoke the system's mail transport agent ("sendmail")

   - Send mail directly by communicating with your mail server
     (requires setting up SMTP parameters)

   Please select one of these.  Emacs will record your selection
   and will use it thereafter.  To change the selection later,
   customize the option `send-mail-function'.