Re: What about putting CC Mode 5.32 into Emacs?

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: What about putting CC Mode 5.32 into Emacs?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:12:58 -0400

Burton Samograd <address@hidden> writes:

> "Michael Welsh Duggan" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> Have you looked at bug 9560 recently?
>>
>>   http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9560
>
> No I haven't, but I did just look it over.
>

>> I have added as much debugging information as I could.  I currently have
>> an emacs -Q on my home machine which is in a bad-indentation state.  I
>> can leave it up for a few days.
>
> It sounds a bit different than what I've been experiencing.  From
> memory, it seems like when I'm editing code in a function, it loses the
> idea that I am in a function and loses a level of indentation for all
> code below a certain point.  Sometimes going up a few lines before the
> problem and re-indenting every line fixes it, but it can take a couple
> of tries to get it to actually work.  Other times I have to go to near
> the start of the function and re-indent everything.  Sometimes nothing
> works and I just re-indent it manually.

I have seen this as well.  The reason I have documented the one I have
is that I have been able to recreate it fairly regularly, and I am
hoping that the underlying cause is similar.

> I don't want to complain without offering a solution, but in the 15+
> years I've been using emacs I have *never* had a problem with C code
> indentation and have grown to rely on it to help me find syntax errors
> in my code.  Why it has unreliable is beyond me when it's worked so well
> for so long...I hope this wasn't just change for the sake of change.

Definitely not.  I don't recall all the performance problems the caching
code was added to support, but they were very real, and there were a
fair number of complaints because of them.  I applaud the work Alan has
done to attempt to improve cc-mode, although I do worry about the
complexity of the current system.

That said, I will file a bug every time I find a new indentation
problem after a new cc-mode update, whether or not I can recreate it,
especially now that we are in pre-release.  I want to make sure that
people using Emacs after the release don't encounter the same problems I
am encountering.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)