Re: Git mirrors

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:43:31 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:23:49 +0200
>
> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It is the other way around: the infrastructure must adapt to the needs
> > of users, whenever there are enough technical and human resources. If
> > some Emacs hackers feel more at home with
> > git/mercurial/whatever-other-Free-tool, why not simply provide it?
>
> "enough technical and human resources" == we have the machines, the
> bandwith and someone is willing to do the job.

And those who are willing to do the job just did it.  No one prevented
them from doing so.  What is the problem?

I was answering your "why" question from the POV of Emacs as a
project.  The Emacs project does not need to do this job, IMO.
Motivated volunteers can do it, if they want to, but the demands that
the project invest any significant effort in this is unfair.

> > And because providing every possible tool, just because someone feels
> > more at home with it, when reasonable alternatives exist, is not the
> > norm in Free Software projects.  What is not required from projects
> > that use git should not be required from projects that use bzr.
>
> You talk about "required" as if someone were asking for a rule:
> "projects who use bzr must provide git mirrors." That's not the case and
> you know it.

It seems to be the rule in this case.  I'm not involved in any other
project whose main VCS is bzr to say more.

> Why not support as much as possible as long as someone wishes to do the
> work? MSDOS anyone, Eli? You want it, you do the work, it keeps you
> contributing, and that's good for Emacs. Why it is different with those
> who feel more comfortable (and productive!) using a different VC tool?

It is different because if I stop maintaining the DOS port, it will
cease to exist.  By contrast, if we don't have a git gateway, Emacs
sources are still accessible and development can continue unimpeded.

> And if no project who uses git offers bzr too, maybe that's because such
> request is never made

Wrong.  I did request it once.  I won't do that again because the
reaction was nowhere as friendly as what you got here asking for git.

> Not because there is some kind of attitude of git users towards bzr
> users that should be corresponded.

Given what I read here, I will have hard time believing in the absence
of "attitude".  But that's me.