Re: Git mirrors

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:48:08 -0700

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
>What we are really trying to do is engage the Emacs community to spend more
>time on Emacs rather than fighting version control.  For many, the "path of
>least resistance" is to provide commits in a format they can most easily
>consume, rather than mandating that all use a single system to satisfy a
>political goal which may or may not concern them.
>
>In the end, I think increasing the pool of Emacs developers, the speed of
>Emacs development, the amount of testing and bug fixing that gets done, will
>serve the FSF's overall agenda more than trying to garner public support for
>Bazaar through a single project.

+1

It is *because* I support free software that I wish Emacs would switch
to Git on Savannah.  Doing so would be better for the cause.

That's no slur on Bazaar.  It's just that Savannah clearly does not have
have the resources to support many different version control systems
well -- and as a result, we're not really helping Bazaar anyway.

If the goal is to support another GNU project, our switch to Bzr did not
serve that goal.  Our difficulties switching to it have become well
known and have been cited *by other projects* as an argument against
switching to Bazaar themselves.  We're not doing Bazaar any favors by
continuing to use it poorly and then complaining about it amongst
ourselves in publicly-archived forums!

(Sorry, no, I'm not going to spend time digging up the references unless
there's a serious chance that doing so will cause GNU Emacs development
to switch to Git or some other system that the majority of this group
actually prefers.)

The idea that we are helping either ourselves or a fellow GNU project
here should be treated as merely a hypothesis until there is actual
evidence of it.

-Karl