Re: Git mirrors

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:13:47 -0400

Everything we do here is for political reasons, and it always was.

    I always thought that Free Software is about the user, always the
    user.

The free software movement campaigns for users' freedom.
So you could say it is "about the users' freedom".

It would be an error to simplify that into "about the user", because
that could be miscontrued as including other benefits even at the
expense of freedom.  For instance, some users like using Skype;
someone might say the GNU system would be "better for users" if it
included Skype and made them happy.  If we adopted the motto that
"free software is about the user", we would be at a loss for how to
argue against that proposal.

So it is not our goal to give users what they happen to want.
Our goal is to give them freedom.

Users who don't want freedom can, of course, disregard it.  Many do.
But if they say, "I don't want freedom, I want Skype", we disregard
them.

Git isn't proprietary, as Skype is.  We're not against git.  But we
are trying to promote Bzr because it is part of GNU.

The most basic way to promote another free program is to use it and
recommend it.  So that's what we do.  Using a free program helps it
get better, and Bzr has got better.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation