Re: Multi-platform build system

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Multi-platform build system
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 03:43:19 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Time ago I volunteered to write a CMake [1] build spec for Emacs. It was
>> considered unnecessary by the people who does most of the work on the
>> current build systems. I will have some free time (sigh) on the next
>> months, so I reiterate the offer in case anyone changed his mind.
>
> The current build system works, it's complex mostly because of what
> emacs needs (dumping is a big factor).  We are using the standard GNU
> tools, and there's a lot of collective experience dealing with those
> tools.
>
> What is the advantage for emacs of yet another build system that has not
> been widely adopted by GNU projects?

As someone who builds Emacs on Windows, cmake would make possible to
remove gnuwin32 from my machines. From the POV of the developers,
extending the cmake scripts is much easier than fighting with .BAT
files, differences across Windows versions, etc.

Please keep in mind that I'm not pushing for a cmake build. I'm just
offering it, in case you guys are interested.