Re: Multi-platform build system

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Multi-platform build system
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 04:05:22 +0200

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 03:57, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> That is so ... cmake, like most build-systems, requires itself to be
> installed for the builder, not just the packager

But it can generate makefiles. If it trusted the user to have the
compiler, etc. in the PATH, instead of hardcoding their paths, it
could be used like the autotools.

> but of course it's invaluable on unixy systems...]

Of course. I still remember the fist time I compiled Perl on a Unix
system, back in 1991. It used a tool similar to autoconf, and it did
make funny comments when it was unable to find some libraries or it
disliked your platform choice or the like. Very LarryWallesque.

    Juanma