Re: Multi-platform build system

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Multi-platform build system
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 04:52:15 +0200

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 03:33, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> You are correct about the makefiles. You need cmake to generate
>> them. But today you need some external tools (I'm talking about Windows)
>> that would be unnecessary with cmake.
>
> You would still need to install some unix tools to build the info
> files, I think?

texinfo, yes. I'm using what comes with MikTex. IIRC gnuwin32 lacked it
or didn't work for me.

>> So I can't see why requiring cmake
>> instead of those Unix utils is unacceptable.
>
> I suppose, the less common the tools are, the greater the resistance.
> For many people (at least, people building Unixy tools, like Emacs, on
> Windows), installing rm, cp etc. is not a prerequisite because they
> will likely have them already installed.

It's obvious that the people who currently build Emacs already have
those tools installed, and it is very probable that cmake is absent. So
the new system would bring no advantage for them unlike they (like me)
would like to remove those Unixy tools from the system.