Re: Git mirrors

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 04:25:28 -0400

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 16:19:28 +0900
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> Juanma Barranquero writes:
>
>  > > In actual practice, I don't think that's true.  Witness the complexity
>  > > of BzrForEmacsDevs on the Emacs wiki.
>  >
>  > Complexity? That page is almost sufficient to use Bazaar to develop
>  > Emacs. "git help log" is several times longer.
>
> Different purposes; git help provides reference documentation, while
> bzr help is just verbose usage messages.  I can tell you that writing
> that BzrForEmacsDevs took not only a lot of reading of "bzr help"
> pages, but also Bazaar website browsing, Googling for other docs, and
> even experimentation with toy repos because the bzr help is horribly
> imprecise and often just plain incomplete.

Bazaar's docs really "need work®", but that doesn't mean git's don't.
In particular, being precise and complete doesn't necessarily mean
being helpful to a casual user.  See, for example

  http://netsplit.com/2009/02/17/git-sucks/

Try disregarding its obvious exaggeration and disgust, and just _read_
the portions of the man pages reproduced there.  I often find myself
in a similar conundrum, even though I never needed to do something as
complex as publish a branch.

>  > We can go daily working in Emacs without requiring a huge expertise
>  > in bazaar.
>
> That is true for a subset of Emacs developers.  But this is
> *obviously* a *proper* subset.  For other Emacs developers, their
> daily workflows require a more powerful VCS.  Otherwise they would not
> go to the trouble of maintaining multiple personal git and Arch
> repositories, or trying to improve the Savannah git repo for Emacs.

That could well be out of habit, though.  Since the semantics and the
effects of most popular bzr commands are subtly different from their
git namesakes, and since the underlying models of the distributed
version control are also subtly different, I can understand how people
who have git wired into their minds and fingers become mad with bzr.
I understand that because I'm mad with git for the same reasons.