Re: Git mirrors

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 05:04:31 -0400

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:31:33 +0200
>
> Manpages are not tutorials, they are reference documentation.  If you
> need a tutorial there are a lot of good ones available.

Tutorial is not the issue here.  (Git does come with an official
tutorial man page.)  The issue here is that every command should be
explained in a way that is suitable both for the first reading by
someone inexperienced, and as reference material for someone
experienced who knows exactly what she is after.  I didn't find any
git documentation that fills the former niche (but I admit that I
didn't look too hard).

Look at the Emacs documentation, for example.  Would it be sufficient
to have just the TUTORIAL and then an alphabetical listing of all the
commands and options, each one with its doc string?  I don't think so.