Re: font-lock-maximum-size

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: font-lock-maximum-size
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:30:38 -0400

> Looks like this variable doesn't work, and hasn't worked for a long
> time.  It nothing when JIT lock mode is in use, and since fast-lock and
> lazy-lock are obsolete, it's pretty useless.  (Anyway, source files
> larger than 250K are not uncommon.)

It does work, but only when setting font-lock-support-mode to nil
(which makes sense if you consider that the purpose was to avoid
performance problems with the eager fontification of large buffers).

> If there are no objections, I am going to mark it as deprecated, and
> remove it from the manual.

Fine by me, tho I agree with Alan that font-lock-support-mode is not
obsolete (it's indispensable to debug font-lock problems).

        Stefan