Re: non-breaking hyphens

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: non-breaking hyphens
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:41:16 -0400

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 08:08:00 -0400
>
> This is what I found, though it does not explain the rationale for the
> feature:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-12/msg00954.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-01/msg00035.html

Thanks.

> The right way to implement this feature, as brought up in the 2004
> thread, would be to specify the affected characters with a char-table
> rather than hardcoding them.

Yes, we should design the display of these special characters as a
single coherent feature.  For example, I discovered a few days ago
that we don't display the U+2028 LINE SEPARATOR character as a line
separator.  And there are many other similar Unicode characters that
need our consideration.

(I started to elaborate about this, but found out that I already said
that in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg01504.html).

> But we should probably leave such a change till after 24.1.

Agreed.  How about a bug report on this, to avoid forgetting the
issue?

> In the meantime, I think I'll add non-breaking hyphen and hyphen to the
> hardcoded list, while deferring on the various other space characters;
> many of those spaces are defined to have specific widths, so it's not
> clear that changing their appearance to a highlighted space is the right
> thing for Emacs to do.

I agree.